Monday, March 11, 2013

Ready For Master Chef?

I hope all out there that could gave their mums a wee treat over the weekend to wish her a happy mothers day and I hope you all have at least one special memory during your lifetime of what your mother did for you.
It got me to thinking about my mum and more importantly my mums home cooking and the memories that it provoked were all very tasty!
No matter who you are or where you are and whatever you may be eating as your favourite dinner there will be a huge percentage that will compare it to their mums or even their grannies and there can be only one winner.
The wee one will compare my cooking and that has got to be a worry as although I consider that should I ever enter master chef that I would surely win, it still leaves me with a slightly uneasy feeling that what I class as getting down and dirty in the kitchen would have my mum and my nana shaking their heads just as I do when it comes to my daughters kitchen abilities- to say toast is not safe in the daughters kitchen is letting her off lightly!!
That is meant as no disrespect to my daughter, who like a huge number of her generation could not boil an egg or make fish in a pan, for those that think I am exaggerating, I can tell you home care companies having been looking at basic cooking courses for new starts!!! Remembering that many of the meals prepared for our elderly are 30 minute meals not whole day cooking or marinating extravaganzas.
Now when I say that I would win master chef that is assuming that I could use some of my secret weapons... aye you guessed it- The entire range of cook in sauces available in any supermarket of your choice!
Now the wee one has had a pretend kitchen for sometime and produces some delightful play dough dishes that look great and I am sure teddy taster and dolly taster love every last spoonful that she has put her heart and soul into.
However like all things with the wee one the pretend kitchen does not hold onto its sparkle when you can have a go at the real thing. So chefs hat on, apron neatly tied and hands duly washed, operation baking got underway the mission to make scones with cream and jam with a side mission for the wee one to make as much mess as possible!
There was a difference to this kitchen activity and that was that my eighteen year old was taking the lead role.  Now he is the exception to the rule as he loves to cook and is pretty good at it without using secret weapons. This comes from years at his nanas side watching all the old methods with not a measuring jug or scale in sight.
However my son has never cooked with such an enthusiastic assistant who was also using the old fashioned methods of experimentation and adding wee bits and bobs to the recipe without the lead chefs knowledge!
So while he concentrated on the health and safety of the hot oven the wee one concentrated on the curry powder that would make those scones have a decent kick!
The result was my first curry scone and I have got to say Scotland meets India at a new level- they were great! Now before you run off and try this yourselves I have to tell you this is now a secret family recipe-so secret only the wee one knows it! Where it will stay safely locked in her memory banks until she enters master chef and gives the judges more than they bargained for.

No comments:

Post a Comment